1 - 5 people
Curious about rock climbing, or looking to try something new? This course is for people with little or no climbing experience! You'll learn about tying into a climbing rope, belaying, and rappelling. Our half-day course is perfect for you to get a taste of what rock climbing and Acadia National Park have to offer!
This class is perfect for discovering the beauty of climbing outside.
What you'll learn while rock climbing
Your day of climbing begins with detailed instruction about climbing gear and safety. Next, we'll work on basic body positioning and climbing techniques. After we go over the foundations of rock climbing, you'll have plenty of time to practice what you learn on the crags. You'll learn:
- The basics of safety in climbing and how to use ropes, knots and harnesses
- The development of efficient climbing techniques and body positions
- The fundamentals of anchors, belaying and rappelling
Looking for something more specialized? Check out Custom Climbing at Acadia.
Absolutely no climbing experience necessary.
Schedule - what a day of climbing can look like
- 8:00am: Meet your guide at the guide's recommended location
- 8:15am: Gear up and carpool to the cliffs
- 8:30am - 12:30: Spend the day climbing
- 12:30pm: Call it a day and head home!
Start time is 8:00am, but if you need flexibility or want an afternoon course, let us know!
Need to know
- All technical climbing gear like ropes, harnesses...you name it
What to bring?
- 2 liters of water, snacks and lunch
- Hiking shoes or sneakers
- Daypack large enough to carry water, food and extra layers
- Bring a camera! There'll be some great shots
What to wear?
- Dress appropriately for the weather and bring your usual athletic clothes
- Jeans are not recommended, and no sandals, please