All skill levels welcome
1 – 5 people
Ragged Mountain is a tri-state classic
Ragged Mountain has a long history of climbing, with ascents dating back to the 1930s. The mountain is known for its expansive views and vertical cliff faces and it’s perfectly suited for beginners. It’s also just a short distance from NYC.
This rock climbing program is yours to customize. Climb some of Ragged Mountain’s classic routes or focus on developing and refining specific techniques. Whatever you decide, a great day awaits you in Connecticut.
Here are some objectives to consider
- Climb classic trad routes like A Guide to Ragged and Carey Corner, or take on something harder like YMC Route or Unconquerable Crack
- Develop face, slab and crack climbing techniques
- Focus on fundamentals like belaying a lead climber, anchors, knots, lowering and rappelling
- Learn to lead traditional multi-pitch routes
After your day of customized climbing you’ll
- Be ready to conquer your next challenge on the rocks
- Be able to place protection and build anchors
- Become familiar with best practices and climbing etiquette at the Gunks
- Feel more comfortable navigating route selection and route management
- Feel safer and more confident pushing your boundaries
Here’s what your day could look like
- 8:30am: Meet your guide at your predetermined location
- 9:00am: Carpool to the chosen approach
- 9:30am: Gear up and tackle your new skills
- 1:00pm: Lunch at the cliff (bring lunch, snacks and plenty of water)
- 1:30pm to 5:00pm: Climb 1-2 routes depending on speed and comfort level
- 5:00pm: Call it a day and plan your next trip
Things you need to know
- All permits and climbing related fees
- All technical climbing gear like ropes, harnesses…you name it.
What to bring?
- 2 liters of water, snacks and lunch
- Hiking shoes or sneakers
- Daypack large enough to carry water, food and extra layers