2-day Introduction to Ice Climbing in Ousel Falls and Hyalite Canyon
- Ability to identify ice climbing equipment, properly don and check harness, helmet, boots, and crampons.
- Belay communications.
- Climbing knots and hitches: Figure 8 follow-through, double fisherman’s, prussic, munter, clove hitch, and water knot.
- Proper top rope anchor placement and setup.
- Rappel setup and techniques with friction devices.
- Ice climbing technique up to WI4 with coaching.
Full Day Course of Mixed Climbing in Hyalite Canyon
- Review of steep ice climbing techniques and skills
- Tool and crampon placements on the rock (edges, hooks, torques, etc)
- Gear selection and protection types in various types of rock
- Mixed climbing technique on low angle, vertical, and steep mixed climbs
- Matching tools, stein pulls, side pulls, etc.