Top three reasons to go hiking in Sierra de Gredos
One of the most fascinating wildlife habitats in western Europe
Stunning natural landscape dotted with lagoons, gorges, and crags
Circular route featuring an impressive glacial cirque with five stunning lagoons
Sierra de Gredos is an impressive granite massif less than three hours away from Madrid. This stony heart of Spain is a Regional Reserve and encompasses 86,397 hectares of untouched nature and unique wildlife. It is one of the most fascinating wildlife habitats and home to the Iberian ibex, a mountain goat with horns that can grow to an astonishing 75cm in length. This hiker’s paradise not only boasts rich flora and fauna, but also breathtaking mountain landscapes and spectacular features including lakes, dramatic cliffs and gorges, and peaks reaching 2592m (8500 feet). The most famous lake is Laguna Grande located in the middle of Circo de Gredos offers inspiring views over the surrounding craggy mountains. Let a guide lead you to the hidden gems of the area and show you the best that Spain has to offer!
May to November
Madrid, Spain, is 2.5 hours away
Intermediate to advanced
Book This Adventure
2-Day Camping and Hiking in SIerra de Gredos
Explore the breathtaking nature off the beaten path with a professional local guide! Discover the stunning natural landscapes boasting rich fauna and flora — if you’re lucky, you might even spot an Iberian ibex! This 2-day loop takes you along 24km (15 miles) of impressive gorges, lagoons, and rugged yet beautiful mountain landscape. Get the most of your adventure, sleep under the starry Spanish skies, and make memories that will last a lifetime.
Day 1: Hike from Hoyos del Espino to Gredos Five Lagoons
Meet your guides around 7:00 AM at your accommodation in Madrid and head to Hoyos del Espino in Ávila. On your first day, you’ll explore the Sierra de Gredos Natural Park over 6 to 8 hours of walking. Enjoy the stunning views over the lakes and cliffs as the sun sets, and relax with your group over a warm meal and drinks. After a challenging day in nature, re-energize in a bivouac where you’ll spend the night in a sleeping bag under the starry sky.
Time: 6 to 8 hours.
Distance: 16,2 km
Elevation: +1.400 m, -710 m
Day 2: From Gredos Lagoon to Hoyos del Espino
After a hearty breakfast, pack up camp and continue with your hiking adventure. Spend around 3 hours exploring the area before reaching the car. Share a meal with your group in Hoyos del Espino town and head back to Madrid. Estimated time of arrival is 7:00 PM.
Time: 3-4 hours
Distance: 7 km
Elevation: +250 m, -420 m
Meet your guides
Founder of Dreampeaks
Founder of Dreampeaks
Our hiking expirience in Sierra de Guadarrama was amaizing, I could not imagine that in one walk we will see so much. Amaizing guide. We enjoyed his deep knowledge about nature and mountains during our walk. I believe that sucess of amaizing day result of his professional eye on people and their limits. I was amaized myself what we did & this worked out becouse trust thut Luis knows what we can. Weather forecast was quite windy for our chosen day, trails what our guide sugested let us spend our whole day in very pleasesnt weather conditions.
I have to mention as well great attention and care that guide took of us. Starting from moment of pickup, all day long with any need to rest, to eat, etc. till last minute delivering us back.
Beautiful hike, awesome guide. It was great to get out of the city. The scenery is eerily like California, but different enough to be an adventure. We met friendly interesting people on the trails. I will definitely book another Dreampeaks adventure if/when I get back to Madrid!
Things to know
Covid measures in Sierra de Gredos, Spain
57hours is committed to providing safe outdoor adventure experiences. We require all guides using our platform to have a COVID-19 safety plan and to make the details of that plan accessible to travelers. In most cases, group sizes will be reduced, guides will avoid overcrowded locations, and other safety measures will be met depending on the location and activity.
We also expect clients to respect local regulations and take measures to protect themselves, guides and the communities they’re travelling to. For more information on COVID-19 measures in Sierra de Gredos, Spain, please refer to the Spanish Ministry of Health or the Official Tourism Website of Madrid.
Please contact us if you have any questions or require further information. We are happy to provide you with the most up-to-date information!
What you get on this adventure:
- An experienced, local hiking guide with extensive knowledge of the area
- 2 days of guided hiking in Sierra de Gredos
- Accommodation for 1 night in camp bivouac
- 1 hot dinner (vegan on demand) and 1 breakfast
- Camping stove and fuel
- Hiking poles
- Navigation equipment, group First-Aid kit, and route information
- Accident Insurance and Civil Liability Insurance
- Pick up and all transfers during the tour in minivan or guide’s car
What’s not included:
- Transportation to Madrid
- Accommodations prior and after the trip
- Three/Four-seasons sleeping bag and pad
- Optional accommodation and half board (dinner and breakfast, vegan on demand) in a mountain hut
- Lunch on the second day
How fit do I need to be?
Hiking in Sierra de Gredos is most suitable for intermediate to advanced hikers and trekkers. This adventure includes 5 to 8 hour hikes on paths and trails, involving ascents and descents through varied and rocky terrain and carrying a medium weight backpack (from 8 to 10 kg). A good level of fitness is required. The hike crosses rugged mountain terrain, scree sections and occasional easy rock scrambling. Keep in mind, the weather in summer can be very hot and you’ll also be packing a daypack filled with water and other things you’ll need throughout the day.
What do I need to bring?
Here’s a list of the equipment you need to bring:
- Backpack large enough to carry all the items listed 30-50 litres — can be rented
- Sleeping bag — can be rented
- Sleeping pad — can be rented
- Mountain/hiking boots or trail shoes
- Trekking socks
- Functional underwear (breathable and wicking type).
- Hiking pants.
- Breathable and wicking short sleeve T-Shirt
- Light warm fleece or softshell
- Breathable waterproof and windproof jacket
- Warm hat
- Neck gaiter.
- Warm gloves.
- Sun hat
- Passport or ID
- Pocket knife
- Snacks (energy bars, fruits, sandwiches, nuts, etc…)
- Casual dry clothes and sport shoes for changing after the tour — left in the car during the tour
- Water bottle or hydration bladder (3L capacity)
- Isotonic drink
- Lightweight hiking boots or shoes
- Spare clothes for layering
- Waterproof rain jacket
- Toiletries (sunscreen, hand sanitizer, bug spray, toilet paper, etc.)
- Headlamp or flashlight
- Camera — optional (but recommended)
Dress comfortably and for the weather in clothes you can move in. We suggest bringing clothing appropriate for the season. Layers are best and don’t wear jeans.
Group sizes and age requirements
Group sizes and prices:
- For this private adventure, the hiking group can be from 1 to 14 people large.
- The cost per person decreases as the group grows, so it’s the perfect opportunity to hike with friends and family!
Hiking in Sierra de Gredos can be arranged for larger groups. Contact us to make arrangements.
Min. age requirements:
- If you are older than 18, you’re good to go.
- Minors as young as 10 are permitted to join the hike in the presence of a parent or legal guardian.
- For families with children under 14 years old, the route and distance will be adapted according to the age of the attendees.
If your group has hikers under the age of 18, contact us prior to booking to make arrangements.
Getting there and meeting location
To get to Madrid, most people fly into Madrid–Barajas International Airport. From there, you can rent a car or take a shuttle service to your accommodation. Madrid is 2.5 hours away from the hiking location.
Once you and your guide agree on the details of your itinerary, your guide will suggest the best place to meet, whether that’s at the guide shop or a predetermined location. The guide will choose the appropriate terrain dependent on conditions and the ability of the group.