1 - 5 people
The Wasatch Mountains provide a memorable backdrop for any skiing experience. Whatever you want to focus on for your backcountry adventures, we're here to help you. One descent at a time!
Welcome to round two for backcountry skiing
In this backcountry skiing course you'll learn the refined techniques that make skinning through advanced terrain not only possible, but efficient and enjoyable! We'll focus on:
- Track setting
- Backcountry preparedness
- Insights on how to find the best snow while keeping risks to a minimum
- Matching the forecast to an appropriate tour plan
- Tailoring a day around field observations
- Improvised rescue for certain scenarios
- Improving skinning techniques for advanced terrain
To maximize your experience we recommend taking an AIARE Avalanche Level 1 or an AAI course prior to signing up for this one, but it's not required.
If you want to work on your skills more before taking this class, we recommend "Backcountry Skiing 101 at Wasatch".
After this class you'll
- Want to try heli-skiing (wow!) or a hut to hut tour
- Have skied in some beautiful, gorgeous powder
Prerequisites for backcountry skiing
All participants need to be competent and comfortable skiers on variable packed snow and untouched terrain. The skiing is a ton of fun, but it demands some experience.
Need to know
We'll contact you with an equipment list and answer any questions you have about your trip