1 - 4 people
Curious about rock climbing? Try it at the Gunks!
The Shawangunk Mountains is a renowned climbing destination for beginners and pros alike. You'll receive expert guided instruction, pick up a bunch of rock climbing terminology AND you get to climb the Gunks!
Check out the beauty of climbing outside. There's nothing like it.
If you're new to climbing, or have some experience in the gym, this Gunks rock climbing class is for you. If you're already an experienced climber, try Custom Climbing in the Gunks.
No experience necessary. At all.
What you'll learn
After going over the fundamentals of rock climbing, you'll have plenty of time to practice what you learn on the crags. Here's some of the techniques you'll become familiar with:
- The basics of safety in climbing
- How to use ropes, knots and harnesses
- The development of efficient climbing techniques and body positions
- The fundamentals of anchors, belaying and rappelling
Climbing in a safe environment is an unforgettable experience for body and mind. There's life before climbing and life after. You're gonna love it.
Need to know
- All permits and climbing related fees in the Mohonk Preserve
- Pick up and return to bus station or train
- All technical climbing gear like ropes, harnesses...you name it.
What to bring?
- 2 liters of water, snacks and lunch
- Hiking shoes or sneakers
- Daypack large enough to carry water, food and extra layers
What to wear?
- Dress appropriately for the weather and bring your usual athletic clothes
What does a typical day look like?
- 9:00am: Meet your guide in New Paltz at Rock and Snow, check your gear
- 9:30am: Gear up and carpool to the cliffs
- 10:00am: Spend the day learning and rock climbing
- 12:30pm - 1:00pm: Lunch (bring snacks and plenty of water)
- 1:00pm - 5:00pm: Keep climbing!
- 5:00pm: Return to New Paltz