Climbing Self Rescue Clinic
This course is comprised of one full day of technical, hands-on rescue training for multi-pitch rock climbing. During our time together we will discuss common rescue concerns in the rock climbing community. We'll also be giving demonstrations of rescue techniques used by rock climbing guides. Most importantly, participants will be able to practice all of the rescue skills presented.
You also get to spend an amazing day at the Gunks, a world class rock climbing destination, learning and having fun under the guidance of an experienced and engaging instructor.
Rescue Course Outline:
- Knots for improvised rescue
- Belay escape and load transfers
- Knot pass while lowering and
- Counter Balance rappels
- Tandem rappelling
- Mechanical advantage raises
- Rope ascending
- Rescue demo by course mentor
- Rescue problem solving
You will leave this course with the confidence and knowledge of rescue procedures that will make you a valuable asset in a multi-pitch environment.
- 9am: Meet at Rock and Snow, in New Paltz
- Gear up and carpool out to the cliffs
- Spend the day at the cliffs learning about climbing rescue techniques
- Return to New Paltz by 5pm
- All permits and climbing related fees in the Mohonk Preserve
- Pick up and return at bus station or train
- All technical climbing gear like ropes, harnesses...you name it.
- 2 liters of water, lunch, snacks
- Hiking shoes or sneakers
- Daypack large enough to carry water, food and extra layers of clothing
- Dress appropriately for the weather and bring your usual athletic clothes
We’re an adventure loving, rock climbing, tech company that loves all things outdoors-y. Why spend days looking for the right guide and adrenaline rush, when we can (and already did) do it for you? Want a serious guide for a challenging climb? We know a bunch. How about a guide to show you around the Alps? Check. Maybe your kids want to climb and won’t stop going on about it until you book them a trip. Yes, we know guides who are great for beginners, too. Oh, yeah, every guide we know prioritizes SAFETY and FUN. Book with 57hours, we’ve done your work for you. You’re welcome.
Paul Curran has been living, climbing and guiding in the Shawangunks for the past 25 years. He has guided and climbed all over the USA, Canada, Mexico, Europe, and Thailand. He has worked both on Broadway and off-Broadway. Paul has also worked numerous professional sporting events where he created aerial stunts, always insuring the safety of those performing.
He loves to educate, encourage and enlighten everyone in the rewards and joys that rock climbing has to offer. He loves to educate, encourage and enlighten everyone in the rewards and joys that rock climbing has to offer.