1 - 4 people
Have you backcountry skied a bit? Feeling comfortable in your environment, but not ready for the crazy stuff? This is the perfect backcountry option for you!
Come explore Lake Tahoe and its wonderful backcountry skiing secrets!
Lake Tahoe and its environs offer amazing opportunities for those of you looking to get away from resort skiing. Spend your day off exploring the Tahoe region with professional guides! Your guide will decide on the exact location the week of the tour, keeping in mind local weather conditions.
After this class you'll
- Be ready to try out some other backcountry tours
- Never want to wait for a lift again
- Have skied some beautiful snow in beautiful country
- Have a good understanding of all the components that make up a tour in the backcountry
Prerequisites for backcountry skiing
- All participants should be comfortable traveling in snow under while carrying touring gear. Though it is a beginner course, excellent physical fitness is required
- Skiers must be competent resort skiers able to link turns in a variety of terrain and snow conditions
Here's a sample itinerary for your day out
- 8:00am - 8:30am: Meet your guide and go over your gear
- 8:30am - 12:00pm: Head out for the first climb and ascent of the day!
- 12:00pm - 12:30pm: Lunch!
- 12:30pm - 3:30pm: For the afternoon portion, we can do more skiing and more skiing
Need to know
- All guiding fees
What's not included
- AT skis and boots, splitboards and avalanche equipment are all available to rent through the guiding service at competitive prices
Gear to bring
- Water and snacks (guides recommend 1-2L of water)
- Lighter, more breathable layer options than a typical resort layering system. An additional light pair of gloves is preferred for uphill travel
- Ski poles with powder baskets, or a pair of collapsable poles for splitboarding (These are available at no extra charge if you need them)
- A backpack, and any avalanche rescue gear you may own. (Our guides recommend packs around 20-30L)