Top three reasons to go rock climbing in Railay
Beautiful tropical surroundings mixed in with world-class climbing
A wide array of sport climbing routes for beginners and experts alike
The area is known for a friendly community of like-minded climbers from all over the world
With grades for all levels of climbers situated in an exotic tropical environment, the Railay area is a world-class climbing destination. This beautiful beach located on the coast of Thailand’s Andaman Sea is accessible by boat due to the large limestone cliffs blocking access from the mainland. The overhanging walls directly above the sun-kissed beaches in the area boast routes ranging from 5.4 to 5.14a, allowing both newcomers to the sport and seasoned vets to work on their climbing skills. Known for its relaxed atmosphere, an abundance of sport climbing routes on pocketed limestone with many stalactites, and an epic climbing community, Railay is a dreamland for any climber. Find out more about why Railay is one of the best rock climbing destinations in the world from Jurica Levatić, a climbing nerd, 5.14 crusher, and big wall speed climber.
Krabi Town, Thailand, is about 15 minutes away by water taxi
Beginner to advanced
Choose how you spend your day
Half-Day of Climbing in Railay With a Private Guide
Sink your legs and fingertips into the limestone cliffs in the Railay area and take your climbing skills to a new level with the help of a private guide. With hundreds of routes on offer, your guide will find ideal climbs for you so that you can work on any skills you want. And since this is a private adventure, you’ll have the undivided attention of your expert guide. Don’t forget to soak up the amazing views all around you in this amazing tropical paradise!
Full-Day of Climbing in Railay With a Private Guide
Work on your climbing skills on various routes on offer in the Railay area. With your private guide’s knowledge, you’ll be able to find ideal climbing spots so that you can push your skills to the next level. And with the tropical beaches around you paired with epic limestone cliffs, you’ll have all you could ever need to become a safer and better climber and enjoy your adventure in Thailand all at once.
Half-Day Group Climbing Adventure in Railay
Make your way to Railay and give climbing a go or build out your existing skill set with the help of an experienced guide. Feel the limestone underneath your fingers and conquer various routes on offer. The area is home to routes for all levels of climbers, so your guide can help you find an optimal one for you. Take in the beautiful views of sun-drenched beaches and walk away a more confident climber.
Full-Day Group Climbing Adventure in Railay
Head to Railay and conquer routes suitable for your fitness level on perfect limestone cliffs overlooking the heavenly beaches in this sport climbing heaven. Let a friendly guide show you the optimal way to move on the rocks and you’ll feel a burst of adrenaline as you conquer your climbing goals. And don’t forget to take in the views of sunny beaches all around you!
Basic Rock Climbing Skills, Top Rope, and Lead Belay Course
Join an experienced guide and get introduced to rock climbing in Railay, a top-tier sport climbing destination. Learn all the necessary skills to get started and to apply them in an indoor and outdoor environment. Let your guide find optimal routes for you and work on basic tie-in knots, belaying, climbing commands, and various climbing techniques. On top of that, you’ll be surrounded by heavenly beaches—it hardly gets better than that.
Meet your guide
Real Rocks Climbing
AMGA/SEACF Certified Guides
Amazing experience, guides were very kind and clearly possess great knowledge about climbing and even though I went solo I felt like I was spending time with best friends. I will definitely come back for some more rock climbing here!
Myself and a group of friends were in Railay celebrating a birthday and decided to set up a half day of climbing with Real Rocks! They had previously been recommended by another friend who is a regular climber. The communication setting up our day was easy and efficient. Yod and the joining guides accommodated our group for a great day, would do it again for sure!!! Thanks Real Rocks!!!! We’ll be back!!!!!
Half-day of climbing at Railay Beach. Provided pick-up and drop off from our hotel. Supplied all of the gear we needed. How much climbing you do is completely up to you, zero pressure. From what I saw that day was that they were by far the best instructors on show, which was reassuring. Great value for money and a lot of fun.
Had the best day ever, staff where amazing and friendly. The view from the rock walls was amazing!!!! I did the full day, was worth it as I went through the caves as well. Overall it was the best day…..I really enjoyed it. Thank guys and will be back to climb the walls I couldn’t.
Things to know
Covid measures in Railay, Thailand
57hours is committed to providing safe outdoor adventure experiences. We require all guides using our platform to have a COVID-19 safety plan and to make the details of that plan accessible to travelers. In most cases, group sizes will be reduced, guides will avoid overcrowded locations, and other safety measures will be met depending on the location and activity.
We also expect clients to respect local regulations and take measures to protect themselves, guides and the communities they’re travelling to. For more information on COVID-19 measures in Railay, Thailand, please refer to the U.S. Embassy and Consulate in Thailand website, the Royal Thai Government’s English Language Dashboard from the Department of Disease Control, and the Tourism Authority of Thailand site.
Please contact us if you have any questions or require further information. We are happy to provide you with the most up-to-date information!
What you get on this adventure:
- An experienced, local climbing guide with extensive knowledge of the area
- A half or full day of rock climbing depending on your chosen itinerary
- Technical climbing equipment rental
- Round trip boat transport between the Ao Nam Mao Boat Pier and Railay
- Transportation to/from hotels in Ao Nang
- Individual accident insurance
- Bottled water
What’s not included:
- Transportation before and after the trip
- Meals and snacks
How fit do I need to be?
If you can climb a ladder, you’re good to go. Being in good shape is always a plus but far from necessary. Rock climbing is all about using good movement technique rather than muscling up a cliff using brute strength. To ensure you have a fun day, your guide will choose routes that best suit your skill and fitness level.
What if I’ve never climbed before?
Railay has plenty of options for beginner climbers. Whether you’ve never climbed before or are transitioning from the gym to outdoor climbing, your guide will customize the day to suit your skill level and objectives. With a guide by your side, you’ll learn something new, stay safe on the rocks, and most importantly, have fun!
For intermediate to advanced climbers, Railay has loads of routes to spend the day on. Your guide will discuss your objectives and customize the day to your goals. Let your guide plan the day so you can focus on developing your skills while climbing the classic routes or best hidden gems the area has to offer.
What about required equipment?
All technical climbing equipment will be provided by your guiding service. However, if you have your own gear, feel free to bring it. You’ll need:
- Harness with a locking carabiner, belay device, and chalk bag
- Rock shoes
- Climbing hardware (quickdraws, cam devices, stoppers, etc.)
Here’s a list of the equipment we suggest you bring:
- Day pack large enough to carry all the items listed (around a 40L bag)
- Comfortable, loose clothing for climbing
- Waterproof bag (for the rainy season)
- Rain jacket (for the rainy season)
- Close-toed shoes
- Water bottle
- Food you can eat on-the-go
- Toiletries (sunscreen, bug spray, toilet paper, etc.)
- Camera — optional
Dress comfortably and for the weather in clothes you can move in. We suggest bringing clothing appropriate for the season. Layers are best and don’t wear jeans.
Group sizes and age requirements
Group sizes and prices:
- For the private adventures, the max. guest-to-guide ratio is 2:1.
- For the group adventures and the rock climbing course, the max. guest-to-guide ratio is 4:1. If joining alone, you’ll be placed with peers that share a similar level of experience.
- Cost is per person and it doesn’t decrease as the group grows for the group adventures and the rock climbing course.
- Costs per person decrease as the group grows for the private climbing trips, so it’s the perfect opportunity to climb with friends and family.
Climbing days in Railay can be arranged for bigger groups. Contact us prior to booking.
Min. age requirements:
- If you are older than 18, you’re good to go.
- For the rock climbing course, participants must be at least 13 years old.
- Minors as young as 5 are permitted to participate in the group climbing adventures, but must be in the presence of a parent or legal guardian.
If your group has climbers under the age of 18, contact us prior to booking to make arrangements.
Once the trip is confirmed by the guide, the cancellation policy stated below applies.
- If Client cancels the Booking anytime prior to one hundred twenty (120) calendar days in advance of the trip contemplated by the booking, Client is entitled to a full refund.
- For cancellations ninety (90) to one hundred nineteen(119) calendar days in advance, Client is entitled to a refund in the amount of fifty percent (50%) of the total amount paid when Booking.
- For cancellations seventy five (75) to eighty nine (89) calendar days in advance, Client is entitled to a refund in the amount of twenty-five percent (25%) of the total amount paid when Booking.
- After that deadline, the Client is not entitled to any refund. Any reimbursable expenses arising out of the Booking incurred by Guide prior to the date of cancellation (including but not limited to plane tickets, car rental payments, and lodging or transportation fees) are non-refundable as soon as they are incurred by the Guide.
- Weather rarely affects the ability to run tours. Even when it rains there are walls and routes on the beach that remain dry and protected all year round. In the event that your guiding service cannot run a tour due to extreme weather conditions (very rare), they offer full refunds.
Getting there and meeting location
To get to Railay, most people fly into Krabi International Airport (KBV) about 30 minutes away from Ao Nang, from where your guiding service will transfer you to Railay. From the airport, you can rent a car or take a taxi or bus to get to Ao Nang.
Once you and your guide agree on the details of your itinerary, your guide will transfer you from your hotel in Ao Nang to the Ao Nam Mao Boat Pier, where you’ll be transferred to Railay on a boat. The guide will choose the appropriate terrain dependent on conditions and the ability of the group.
There is a surcharge if you wish to be transferred from your hotel in Krabi Town and Klong Muang/Tubkaek, but the transportation to and from your hotel in Ao Nang is included in the price.