1 - 5 people
Curious about rock climbing, or looking to try something new? Come learn to rock climb! Ragged Mountain has a long history of climbing, with ascents dating back to the 1930s. The mountain is known for its expansive views and vertical cliff faces. It's perfectly suited for beginners and is only a short distance from NYC.
Climb outside! There's nothing like it.
This class is a great fit for beginners with no experience or people who have climbed a few times in the gym. Looking for something more specialized? Check out Custom Rock Climbing at Ragged Mountain.
None whatsoever. No climbing experience necessary.
What you'll learn
Your day will start with detailed instruction about rock climbing gear and safety. After that, you'll work on body positioning and climbing techniques. Next we'll go over the fundamentals of rock climbing. There'll be plenty of time to practice everything on the crags. Here's what we'll cover:
- The basics of safety in climbing
- How to use ropes, knots and harnesses
- Development of efficient climbing techniques and body positions
- The fundamentals of anchors, belaying and rappelling
After this class you'll
- Be confident when you tackle your next climb
- Understand all the challenges any climber can face after a day spent on the rocks
- Love the view on your way to the top!
Climbing in a safe environment is an unforgettable experience for body and mind.
Here's a typical schedule
- 9:00am: Meet your guide at Ragged Mountain Trailhead, check gear
- 9:30am: Gear up and carpool to the cliffs
- 10:00am: Spend the day learning and rock climbing
- 12:30pm - 1:00pm: Lunch (bring snacks and plenty of water)
- 1:00pm - 5:00pm: Continue to learn and climb!
- 5:00pm: Return to Ragged Mountain Trailhead and call it a day
Need to know
What is included?
- All permits and climbing related fees
- All technical climbing gear like ropes, harnesses...you name it.
What to bring?
- 2 liters of water, snacks and lunch
- Hiking shoes or sneakers
- Daypack large enough to carry water, food and extra layers
What to wear?
- Dress appropriately for the weather and bring your usual athletic clothes