1 - 6 people
Welcome to Stone Mountain, North Carolina! The low angle nature of Stone Mountain welcomes climbers of all abilities, making it great for practicing footwork and balance. This mountain has been the first multi-pitch climbing experience for many!
Curious about rock climbing, or looking to try something new? This course is for people with little or no climbing experience! Not only will you learn about tying into a climbing rope, belaying, and rappelling, you’ll also practice being a climbing partner to your guide and fellow course participants.
This class is perfect for discovering the beauty of climbing outside.
Absolutely no rock climbing experience necessary.
What you'll learn
Your day of climbing begins with detailed instruction about climbing gear and safety. Next, you'll work on basic body positioning and climbing techniques. After you go over the foundations of rock climbing, you'll have plenty of time to practice what you learn. You'll learn:
- The basics of safety in climbing and how to use ropes, knots and harnesses
- The development of efficient climbing techniques and body positions
- The fundamentals of anchors, belaying and rappelling
After your first climb, you'll get an idea of all the great challenges a climber can face on any given day spent on the rocks. Climbing in a safe environment is an unforgettable experience, for both body and mind. You'll love it!
- 8:30am: Meet your guide and the guide's recommended location
- 9:30am: Gear up and carpool to the cliffs
- 10:00am: Spend the day learning and rock climbing
- 12:30pm - 1:00pm: Lunch (bring snacks and plenty of water)
- 1:00pm - Continue to learn and climb!
- 5:00pm: Call it a day and head home!
This course is available in both multi-pitch and single pitch locations, and can be booked in a 2 day format for 1-6 people (maximum 3 climbers per guide for multi-pitch).
Need to know
- All technical climbing gear (bring your own if you like)
- NC Locations +$17.50 per day park fee
- NC State Parks charge $35.00 per day for commercial climbing access, your guide splits this expense with you