1 - 4 people
Come explore backcountry skiing in Crested Butte, Colorado. Going by splitboard, telemark or alpine touring, you’ll learn the essentials on your two day trip in the Colorado backcountry.
Say goodbye to lift lines and crowds and let us guide you through untracked, backcountry powder and teach you about ski touring. With fewer crowds and thousands of vertical feet to explore, your winter months just got more exciting! Learn what it takes to make it up the slope and how to make the right decisions when going back down.
Our guides will take everyone's skills into consideration when planning the itinerary for the course. You can count on learning essential outdoor skills and doing a lot of backcountry skiing. Book this course privately or join up with other likeminded enthusiasts. This course is also great to take in conjunction with an Avalanche Level 1 or an AIARE Avalanche Rescue class.
What you'll learn
- Preparation for winter backcountry travel
- Equipment needs and skiing options
- How to use your equipment
- Avalanche forecast comprehension
- How to distinguishing avalanche terrain
- Route planning
- Uphill technique and track setting
- Basic rescue and 1st aid planning
After this class you'll
- Be more confident and comfortable in the backcountry
- Understand all the considerations and challenges that arise when out in the open
- Have skied in some beautiful, gorgeous powder
- Be ready to try the next step, like a hut-to-hut tour
Prerequisites for backcountry skiing
All participants need to be competent and comfortable skiers on variable packed snow and untouched terrain. The skiing is a ton of fun, but it demands some experience.
Need to know
- Professional ski guide (max 4:1 student to guide)
- 2 person minimum per class
- Avalanche safety gear (beacon, shovel, probe), Mammut RAS air backpack
What's NOT included
- Food, lodging*
- Backcountry touring set-up**
*Inquire about lodging discounts when making your booking
**Backcountry touring set-ups can be rented for an additional fee.