Top reasons to snowshoe in Sierra de Guadarrama NP
Walk over mantles of fresh snow in the silent wintry paradise
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and discover Madrid in a new way
Appreciate the wildlife and rich vegetation and soak up the sweeping views
Located just under 2 hours away from Madrid, Sierra de Guadarrama National Park is a real treat for nature enthusiasts looking to discover Spain and its capital in a new and refreshing way. With the arrival of winter, this national park turns into a snowy wonderland, and putting on a pair of snowshoes is your best bet if you wish to explore this irresistible area. Spanning across hectares upon hectares of land, this massive park has all you can think of from snow-capped peaks, various ecosystems, and abundant wildlife to stretches of stunning forests, frozen rivers and so much more. While snowshoeing the area, take in the sensational vistas all around you as your guide navigates you across the park’s versatile terrain and introduces you to the best hidden gems. Ditch the crowded trails, get a different taste of Madrid, and come back home fully recharged!
December through April
Madrid, Spain, is just under 2 hours away
Beginner to advanced
Book this adventure
Half-Day Snowshoeing Adventure in Sierra de Guadarrama National Park
Experience the unmatched feeling of peace while snowshoeing in Sierra de Guadarrama National Park! Strap on a pair of snowshoes and start exploring this awe-inspiring snowy dreamland near Madrid. Encounter the rich flora and fauna, mountains packed with quality snow, silent forests, frozen rivers and more. Join your expert guide and let them show you everything this scenic park has to offer!
Meet your guide
It was excellent, we had a great guide, Luis. The experience was unique and we came back with beautiful memories.
Snowshoeing in the Sierra de Guadarrama was a fantastic way to escape the bustle of Madrid. Led by our guide Gabriel we were fitted out with the necessary gear including waterproof snow shoes and trousers. Gabriel has a passionate knowledge of this region and it was a beautiful way to spend the day. We opted for the picnic lunch inclusion which was very much appreciated as the great outdoors is a great way to stimulate the appetite. Thoroughly recommend this trip. Gabriel was a great guide and it was the highlight of our time in Madrid.
Things to know
Covid measures in Sierra de Guadarrama, Spain
57hours is committed to providing safe outdoor adventure experiences. We require all guides using our platform to have a COVID-19 safety plan and to make the details of that plan accessible to travelers. In most cases, group sizes will be reduced, guides will avoid overcrowded locations, and other safety measures will be met depending on the location and activity.
We also expect clients to respect local regulations and take measures to protect themselves, guides and the communities they’re traveling to. For more information on COVID-19 measures in Sierra de Guadarrama, Spain, please refer to Spain’s Ministry of Health, Consumer Affairs and Social Welfare Website.
Please contact us if you have any questions or require further information. We are happy to provide you with the most up-to-date information!
What you get in this adventure:
- An English-speaking, certified mountain guide with extensive knowledge of the area
- A half-day snowshoeing tour in Sierra de Guadarrama National Park
- Brief introduction course to snowshoeing
- Snowshoes and sticks
- Accident insurance and civil liability insurance
- Non-commercial transport in the guide’s vehicle and pick up service at your hotel or accommodation in Madrid
What’s not included:
- Transportation before and after the tour
- Food and drinks
- Optional picnic pack available on demand ($20 per person, vegan or special food upon request)
- Optional winter mountain wear for rental
How fit do I need to be?
In order to enjoy this snowshoeing adventure, you need to have a standard level of fitness and be in generally good health. Other than that, there are no special physical requirements for this tour. Bear in mind that you’ll be on your feet snowshoeing for about 3-5 hours while carrying a backpack.
What if I’ve never snowshoed before?
Snowshoeing is easy and anyone can pick it up quickly. As the saying goes, “if you can walk, you can snowshoe”. If you’ve never gone snowshoeing before, heading out with a guide is your best bet. They’ll take care of the planning, introduce you to the basics, and go through safety and correct snowshoeing techniques with you before heading out on the tour. They also have the experience and avalanche training to keep you safe.
What equipment do I need to bring?
For personal items, we recommend bringing:
- Sunglasses or ski goggles
- Warm hat and gloves
- Headband or buff
- Neck gaiter and roll-neck
- Wide-brimmed hat or sun hat
- Wind and waterproof shell jacket with hood (Gore-Tex type)
- Ski pants
- Down jacket or vest
- Synthetic or wool base layers, underwear and socks
- Polyester fleece insulating mid-layers
- Extra clothing layers & socks
- Mountain/hiking boots or après ski boots
- Water bottle and 1,5L of water per person
- Thermos with a warm beverage
- Food you can eat on-the-go (sandwich, fruit, nuts, energy bars, etc.)
- Sunscreen and lip balm
- Passport/identification document and personal belongings and medications in a plastic bag
- Camera — optional
Your guiding service has hiking boots, warm gloves and hats, as well as winter jackets for rent. Snowshoes and sticks are included in the price. Shed a layer before you start to overheat and add a layer before you start getting cold.
Group sizes and age requirements
- For this snowshoeing adventure, the usual client-to-guide ratio is 6:1. All prices are per person.
- Costs decrease as the group grows for this adventure, so it’s the perfect opportunity to snowshoe with friends and family.
- If joining alone, you’ll be placed with peers that share a similar level of experience.
Snowshoeing in Sierra de Guadarrama National Park can be arranged for larger groups. Contact us to make arrangements.
Min. age requirements:
- If you are older than 18, you’re good to go.
- Children as young as 6 years old can participate in this adventure, but must be in the presence of a parent or legal guardian.
If your group has snowshoers under the age of 18, contact us prior to booking to make arrangements.
Getting there and meeting location
To get to Sierra de Guadarrama National Park, most people fly into Adolfo Suárez Madrid–Barajas Airport about an hour away from Sierra de Guadarrama National Park. From there, you can rent a car, get a taxi, take a shuttle service or ride a subway to get to Abba Madrid Hotel where your guide will pick you up. Transportation is included in the price.
Once you and your guide agree on the details of your itinerary, your guide will pick you up at Abba Madrid Hotel. The guide will choose the appropriate terrain dependent on conditions and the ability of the group.