During this course, you will learn about:
- types and characteristics of avalanches
- avalanche motion and size classification
- basics of metamorphism and the layering of the mountain snowpack
- new field observation techniques and snowpack tests
- avalanche “red flags”
- how to make an observation checklist and an avalanche danger scale
- companion rescue and equipment.
When it comes to trip planning and preparation, your instructor will teach you about avalanche terrain recognition, assessment, and selection, route finding, travel techniques, decision making, and human factors.