1 - 6 people
The Manchester Wall offers great climbing right in Richmond!
Come check out the Manchester Wall in Richmond,VA! It offers climbs on granite bridge abutments and it's great for first time climbers. There's also a beautiful view of downtown and the James River.
This rock climbing course is for you!
Are you curious about climbing, or looking to try something new? This course is for people with little or no climbing experience. Not only will you learn about tying into a climbing rope, belaying, and rappelling, you’ll also practice being a climbing partner to your guide and fellow course participants. Most importantly, you can and will climb up a rock!
This class is perfect for discovering the beauty of climbing outside.
Prerequisites for rock climbing
Absolutely no climbing experience is necessary
What you will learn
Your day of climbing begins with detailed instruction about climbing gear and safety. Next, you'll work on basic body positioning and climbing techniques. After you go over the foundations of rock climbing, you'll have plenty of time to practice. You'll learn:
- The basics of safety in climbing and how to use ropes, knots and harnesses
- The development of efficient climbing techniques and body positions
- The fundamentals of anchors, belaying and rappelling
With your first climb, you'll get an idea of all the great challenges a climber can face on any given day spent on the rocks. Climbing in a safe environment is an unforgettable experience, for both body and mind. You'll love it!
Looking for something more specialized? Check out Custom Climbing in Richmond.
- 9:00am: Meet your guide and the guide's recommended location
- 9:30am: Gear up and carpool to the cliffs
- 10:00am: Spend the day learning and rock climbing
- 12:30pm - 1:00pm: Lunch (bring snacks and plenty of water)
- 1:00pm - 5:00pm: Continue to learn and climb!
- 5:00pm: Call it a day and head home!
Need to know
- All permits and climbing fees
- All technical climbing gear (bring your own if you like)