Custom Rock Climbing at Ragged Mountain
Ragged Mountain has a long history of climbing, with ascents dating back to the 1930s. The mountain is known for its expansive views and vertical cliff faces.
This program is yours to customize. Climb some of Ragged Mountain’s classic routes, or opt to focus on developing and refining specific techniques. Whatever you decide, a great day awaits you in Connecticut.
Here’s a handful of things to try while you’re in Connecticut:
- Climb classic trad routes like A Guide to Ragged and Carey Corner, or take on something harder like YMC Route or Unconquerable Crack
- Develop face, slab and crack climbing techniques
- Focus on fundamentals like belaying a lead climber, anchors, knots, lowering and rappelling
- Learn to lead traditional multi-pitch routes
After your day of customized climbing you will:
- Be ready to conquer your next challenge on the rocks, like trying that other climb you weren’t so sure about
- Be able to place protection and build anchors
- Become familiar with best practices and climbing etiquette at the Gunks
- Feel more comfortable navigating route selection and route management
- Feel safer and more confident pushing your boundaries
Here’s what your day could look like:
- 8:30am: Meet your guide at your predetermined location
- 9:00am: Carpool to the chosen approach
- 9:30am: Gear up and tackle your new skills
- 1:00pm: Lunch at the cliff (bring lunch, snacks and plenty of water)
- 1:30pm – 5:00pm: Climb 1-2 routes depending on speed and comfort level
- 5:00pm: Call it a day and plan your next trip!
New to rock climbing? Check out the Introduction to Rock Climbing at Ragged Mountain.
- All permits and climbing related fees
- All technical climbing gear like ropes, harnesses...you name it.
- 2 liters of water, snacks and lunch
- Hiking shoes or sneakers
- Daypack large enough to carry water, food and extra layers
- Dress appropriately for the weather and bring your usual athletic clothes
We’re an adventure loving, rock climbing, tech company that loves all things outdoors-y. Why spend days looking for the right guide and adrenaline rush, when we can (and already did) do it for you? Want a serious guide for a challenging climb? We know a bunch. How about a guide to show you around the Alps? Check. Maybe your kids want to climb and won’t stop going on about it until you book them a trip. Yes, we know guides who are great for beginners, too. Oh, yeah, every guide we know prioritizes SAFETY and FUN. Book with 57hours, we’ve done your work for you. You’re welcome.
Matt Shove is the founder and director of Ragged Mountain Guides. He calls Connecticut home. Since 2001, He has climbed, instructed and guided guests in mountain areas all over the United States. Matt has extensive work experience all across America. You name a place, and he’s most likely guided and climbed there.
Matt has conducted on-site safety for film crews in mountain areas as well as in studios. He has also guided training programs for elite mountain warfare soldiers, Marine Special Operations, and the US Coast Guard.