Spend up to 8 hours hiking in the Lamar Valley and let your guide show you the best gems in the area. Make sure you soak up the valley’s open landscapes as you listen to your guide share some interesting facts about Lamar Valley and its history! And don’t forget your camera as you’ll want to take amazing photos of both the scenery and the incredible animals including bison, elk, pronghorn and occasional wolves and grizzly bears.
To get to the Lamar Valley, most people go through the northeast or north entrances to the national park, which are 10 and 25 miles away by road, respectively. You will meet your guide at a predetermined trailhead in the Lamar Valley some time before 9 am.
What you get on this adventure:
- An experienced, local and private naturalist or biologist hiking guide with extensive knowledge of the area
- Full-day of hiking (up to 8 hours) in a chosen area of Yellowstone with daily departures between 7 and 9 AM
- Brunch, hot drinks, and water refills
What’s not included:
- Water bottle
- Transportation to the meeting point
- Park entrance fees ($20 per person, $35 per family)
The best thing about hiking in Yellowstone is that there are incredible options for all skill levels. Since the tours are private, the route will be customized having in mind your group’s activity level. For beginner hikes, if you can walk up to 8 hours (with plenty of breaks) with little elevation gain and sections on boardwalks and stairs, you are good to go! Intermediate hikes will see a little more change in elevation (up to 700 ft / 220 m) and include sections of rocky terrain—with a possibility of scrambling. Advanced hikes will include more sections with rocky terrain, bigger elevation gains (+1,000 ft / 305 m) and more obstacles.
Keep in mind that the minimum starting elevation is at 6,000 ft above sea level, that weather in summer can be very hot, and that you’ll also be packing a daypack filled with water and other things you’ll need throughout the day. Your guide will always be by your side, making sure hiking is suitable to your level and adjusting the route if necessary.
If full-day hikes seem too long for you, check out our half-day hiking adventures in Yellowstone.
Here’s a list of the equipment you need to bring:
- Day pack large enough to carry all the items listed (around a 25-40L bag)
- Hiking poles — optional
- Water bottle or hydration bladder (3L capacity)
- 3L of water (the minimum amount you need to bring)
- Lightweight hiking boots or shoes with good grip
- Spare clothes for layering
- Waterproof rain jacket
- Toiletries (sunscreen, hand sanitizer, bug spray, toilet paper, etc.)
- Bear spray — provided by the guide
- Bug spray — optional (must be DEET free!)
- Headlamp or flashlight
- Camera — optional (but recommended)
If you’re sensitive to bug bites, bring loose clothing that covers the lengths of your arms and legs. Also, bring lots of sunscreen no matter the season. You’ll be at a high base elevation (about 5,000 feet) and may go over 9,000 ft in the course of the day.
Don’t wear any fragrance as it might attract bears and keep in mind that smoking is strictly forbidden within Yellowstone. Another thing that is stipulated by your guide is that it is not allowed to bring guns on their tours.
Dress comfortably and for the weather in clothes you can move in. We suggest bringing clothing appropriate for the season. Layers are best and don’t wear jeans.
These hikes can be adapted to accommodate most ages and abilities. If you are a wheelchair user or have some other specific needs, this shouldn’t stop you from experiencing Yellowstone! Make sure to contact us if you’re considering the tour and we will make arrangements with your guide. They have experience guiding people with more specific needs and they’ll be happy to help you navigate the obstacles in this wild and remote area. You can visit the Yellowstone National Park website to find out more about the accessibility in Yellowstone.
Group sizes and prices:
- For these private hiking adventures, the maximum client to guide ratio is 10:1.
- The cost per person decreases as the group grows, so it’s the perfect opportunity to hike with friends and family!
Hiking in Yellowstone can be arranged for larger groups. Contact us to make arrangements.
Min. age requirements:
- If you are older than 18, you’re good to go.
- Those under the age of 18 are welcome if accompanied by a responsible adult—these tours are family friendly!
Once the trip is confirmed by the guide, the cancellation policy stated below applies.
- Cancellations up to 30 days before your trip date will receive a 90 % refund of the trip value.
- Cancellations between 29 and 5 days before your trip date will receive a 50% refund.
- For cancellations within 5 days of booking refunds will not be provided.
To get to the Yellowstone National Park, most people fly into Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport, which is between 1.5 and 3 hours away. From here, you can rent a car to get to the park.
Your guide can meet people at the following locations: Gardiner MT or Mammoth Hot Springs WY, Tower Junction, Norris Geyser Basin and Canyon Visitor Center.
Once you and your guide agree on the details of the itinerary, they will suggest the exact meeting time and place, whether at the trailhead or a predetermined location.
57hours is committed to providing safe outdoor adventure experiences. We require all guides using our platform to have a COVID-19 safety plan and to make the details of that plan accessible to travelers. In most cases, group sizes will be reduced, guides will avoid overcrowded locations, and other safety measures will be met depending on the location and activity.
We also expect clients to respect local regulations and take measures to protect themselves, their guides, and the communities they’re traveling to. For more information on COVID-19 measures in Yellowstone, WY, please refer to the official guidelines for air travel into the US and Yellowstone National Park’s COVID-19 guidelines.
Please contact us if you have any questions or require further information. We are happy to provide you with the most up-to-date information!