Treat yourself to a 2- or 3-day sport climbing clinic in Red River Gorge and fast-track your skills in what is widely considered the best single-pitch sport climbing area in the US. Let an expert guide show you the necessary techniques to be more efficient on the crags and become an all around better sport climber. Whether you’re transitioning from indoor to outdoor climbing or you’ve never tried rock climbing before, you’ll walk away a more confident climber.
Day 1: Skill assessment
Let an experienced guide assess your current abilities to find the most suitable routes for you and start working on your techniques to successfully climb some of the best sport routes in the US. Get back to your accommodations and prepare for the next day of climbing.
Day 2: More climbing
Put all the new techniques that you learned yesterday to use and complete some more sport routes that are plentiful in this area. Cement your knowledge by listening to your guide’s tips and tricks and applying them on the rocks.
NOTE: This is a sample 2-day itinerary. You can book one, two, or three days.
57hours is committed to providing safe outdoor adventure experiences. We require all guides using our platform to have a COVID-19 safety plan and to make the details of that plan accessible to travelers. In most cases, group sizes will be reduced, guides will avoid overcrowded locations, and other safety measures will be met depending on the location and activity.
We also expect clients to respect local regulations and take measures to protect themselves, guides and the communities they’re traveling to. For more information on COVID-19 measures in Red River Gorge, KY, please refer to the Kentucky Public Health website.
Please contact us if you have any questions or require further information. We are happy to provide you with the most up-to-date information!
What you get on this adventure:
- An experienced, local rock climbing guide with extensive knowledge of the area
- 1-, 2-, or 3-day rock climbing clinic depending on your chosen itinerary
- Climbing and safety equipment
What’s not included:
If you can climb a ladder, you’re good to go. Being in good shape is always a plus but far from necessary. Rock climbing is all about using good movement techniques rather than muscling up a cliff using brute strength. To ensure you have a fun day, your guide will choose routes that best suit your skill and fitness level.
Red River Gorge has plenty of options for beginner climbers. Whether you’ve never climbed before or are transitioning from the gym to outdoor climbing, your guide will customize the day to suit your skill level and objectives. With a guide by your side, you’ll learn something new, stay safe on the rocks, and most importantly, have fun!
For intermediate to advanced climbers, Red River Gorge has loads of routes to spend the day on. Your guide will discuss your objectives and customize the day to your goals. Let your guide plan the day so you can focus on developing your skills while climbing the classic routes or best hidden gems the area has to offer.
All technical climbing equipment will be provided by your guiding service. However, if you have your own gear, feel free to bring it. You’ll need:
- Harness with a locking carabiner, belay device, and chalk bag
- Rock shoes (included in the price, but we recommend bringing your own if you have them)
- Climbing hardware (quickdraws, cam devices, stoppers, etc.)
Here’s a list of the equipment we suggest you bring:
- Light backpack large enough to carry all the items listed
- Water bottle
- Hiking boots
- Food you can eat on-the-go
- Toiletries (sunscreen, bug spray, toilet paper, etc.)
- Camera — optional
Dress comfortably and for the weather in clothes you can move in. We suggest bringing clothing appropriate for the season. Layers are best and don’t wear jeans.
Group sizes and prices:
- The max. guest-to-guide ratio for these rock climbing clinics is 6:1.
- The maximum number of participants is 12.
- Costs per person decrease as the group grows for private tours, so it’s the perfect opportunity to climb with friends and family.
- The length of the course is most often 2 days for both clinics; however depending on the goals of the climber, the course can take between 1 to 3 days.
- The prices for the two and three day courses follow the same pricing scheme as for one day, meaning that e.g. for 2 or 3 full days of instruction, you’ll be charged for 2 or 3 full days of guided climbing at the same rate as for one day, but doubled or tripled.
Rock climbing clinics in Red River Gorge can be arranged for bigger groups. Contact us prior to booking.
Min. age requirements:
- If you are older than 18, you’re good to go.
- Minors younger than 18 may be permitted to climb on a case-by-case basis, but must be in the presence of a parent or legal guardian.
If your group has climbers under the age of 18, contact us prior to booking to make arrangements.
To get to Red River Gorge, most people fly into Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) 2.5 hours from Red River Gorge. From there, you can rent a car or take a bus to Lexington and drive to Red River Gorge.
Alternatively, you can fly into Blue Grass Airport (LEX) 1.5 hours away from Red River Gorge. From there, you can drive to Red River Gorge.
Once you and your guide agree on the details of your itinerary, you will meet your guide at Sky Bridge Station. The guide will choose the appropriate terrain dependent on conditions and the ability of the group.