Summit the queen of Alpi Apuane range with a private guide and enjoy the phenomenal views over the region as you climb the slopes and winding trails. Begin your adventure in Piglionio and head to the Via Diretta through the beech forest before reaching Rifugio Rossi — one of the ancient mountain huts in Tuscany. As you pass the big rocky ravine, prepare for the magnificent panoramic vistas that will take your breath away!
57hours is committed to providing safe outdoor adventure experiences. We require all guides using our platform to have a COVID-19 safety plan and to make the details of that plan accessible to travelers. In most cases, group sizes will be reduced, guides will avoid overcrowded locations, and other safety measures will be met depending on the location and activity.
We also expect clients to respect local regulations and take measures to protect themselves, guides and the communities they’re travelling to. For more information on COVID-19 measures in Italy, please refer to the Italian Ministry of Health website.
Please contact us if you have any questions or require further information. We are happy to provide you with the most up-to-date information!
What you get on this adventure:
- An experienced, local hiking guide with extensive knowledge of the area
- A full day of hiking
- Transportation from Piglionico – Molazzana to the trailhead
What’s not included:
- Transportation to Piglionico
- Meals and snacks
The best thing about hiking in Pania della Croce is that there are incredible options for all skill levels. If you can walk for 5 miles (four to six hours) with some elevation gain (+700m/2300ft), you are good to go! Keep in mind, the weather in summer can be very hot and you’ll also be packing a daypack filled with water and other things you’ll need throughout the day.
Here’s a list of the equipment you need to bring:
- Day pack large enough to carry all the items listed (around a 25-40L bag)
- Hiking poles — optional
- Water bottle or hydration bladder (2L capacity)
- Packed lunch and snacks
- Lightweight hiking boots or shoes
- Spare clothes for layering
- Waterproof rain jacket
- Toiletries (sunscreen, hand sanitizer, bug spray, toilet paper, etc.)
- Headlamp or flashlight
- Camera — optional (but recommended)
Dress comfortably and for the weather in clothes you can move in. We suggest bringing clothing appropriate for the season. Layers are best and don’t wear jeans.
Group sizes and prices:
- For the private adventures, the max client to guide ratio is 8:1.
- The cost per person decreases as the group grows, so it’s the perfect opportunity to hike with friends and family!
Hiking in Pania della Croce can be arranged for larger groups. Contact us to make arrangements.
Min. age requirements:
- If you are older than 18, you’re good to go.
- Minors younger than 18 may be permitted to join the hike on a case-by-case basis, but must be in the presence of a parent or legal guardian.
If your group has hikers under the age of 18, contact us prior to booking to make arrangements.
To get to Pania della Croce, most people fly into Pisa International Airport just an hour away. From there, you can rent a car or take a shuttle service to Piglionico, Molazzana, where you’ll meet with your guides.
Once you and your guide agree on the details of your itinerary, your guide will suggest the best place to meet, whether that’s at the guide shop or a predetermined location. The guide will choose the appropriate terrain dependent on conditions and the ability of the group.