Escape the urban buzz and wind your way through the Mohonk Preserve’s forests and open fields while taking in the soothing sounds of waterfalls and get to Minnewaska’s clear streams and soaring cliffs. Reach the Catskill Mountains, marvel at the splendid views of mountain summits and let your guide show you the best gems in the area!
57hours is committed to providing safe outdoor adventure experiences. We require all guides using our platform to have a COVID-19 safety plan and to make the details of that plan accessible to travelers. In most cases, group sizes will be reduced, guides will avoid overcrowded locations, and other safety measures will be met depending on the location and activity.
We also expect clients to respect local regulations and take measures to protect themselves, guides and the communities they’re traveling to. For more information on COVID-19 measures in the Gunks region, NY, please refer to the New York State website and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.
Please contact us if you have any questions or require further information. We are happy to provide you with the most up-to-date information!
What you get on this adventure:
- An experienced, local hiking guide with extensive knowledge of the area
- A half or full day of hiking depending on your chosen itinerary
What’s not included:
- Lunch and snacks
- Personal clothing and equipment
- Day passes
The best thing about hiking in the Gunks is that there are incredible options for all skill levels. There is a variety of trail options and difficulties from easy strolls and/or more active and active hikes. For beginner hikes, if you can walk for four to six hours with little elevation gain, you are good to go! Intermediate hikes will see a little more change in elevation and hikes will start to increase in length, hiking anywhere between four to eight miles. Advanced hikes are full day treks with steep descents and challenging switchbacks. Keep in mind, the weather in summer can be very hot and you’ll also be packing a daypack filled with water and other things you’ll need throughout the day.
Here’s a list of the equipment you need to bring for your hiking adventure. Day pack is available for loan through your guiding service.
- Day pack large enough to carry all the items listed (around a 25-40L bag)
- Hiking poles — optional
- Water bottle or hydration bladder (at least 1L for a half day, or 2L for a full day)
- Sturdy hiking shoes and/or boots (above the ankle, waterproof & well broken in)
- Wool or new blend socks
- Synthetic or wool T-shirt
- Synthetic pants or shorts
- Spare clothes for layering
- Waterproof/breathable rain jacket and pants if weather dictates
- Fleece jacket or sweater
- Long wool underwear top and bottom
- Wool or fleece hat
- Baseball cap or sun visor
- Toiletries (sunscreen, hand sanitizer, bug spray, toilet paper, personal medications, etc.)
- Lunch (food you can eat on-the-go–sandwiches, energy bars, etc.)
- Headlamp or flashlight with extra batteries
- A pair of glasses (if you wear contact lenses)
- Camera — optional (but recommended)
Dress comfortably and for the weather in clothes you can move in. We suggest bringing clothing appropriate for the season. Layers are best and don’t wear jeans.
Group sizes and prices:
- For these adventures, the guest-to-guide ratio is 15:1.
- The maximum number of participants is 30 people.
- Cost per person decreases as the group grows, so it’s the perfect opportunity to hike with friends and family!
Hiking in the Gunks region can be arranged for larger groups. Contact us to make arrangements.
Min. age requirements:
- If you are older than 18, you’re good to go.
- Minors younger than 18 may be permitted to join the hike on a case-by-case basis, but must be in the presence of a parent or legal guardian.
If your group has hikers under the age of 18, contact us prior to booking to make arrangements.
To get to the Shawangunk Mountains (the Gunks), most people fly into one of the international airports in New York, John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), LaGuardia Airport (LGA) or Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR). From there, you can rent a car or take a shuttle service for 2 hours to the Shawangunk Mountains.
Once you and your guide agree on the details of your itinerary, your guide will suggest the best place to meet, whether that’s at the guide shop or a predetermined location. The guide will choose the appropriate terrain dependent on conditions and the ability of the group.