1 - 5 people
Ragged Mountain has a long history of climbing, with ascents dating back to the 1930s. The mountain is known for its expansive views and vertical cliff faces.
This program is yours to customize. Climb some of Ragged Mountain’s classic routes, or opt to focus on developing and refining specific techniques. Whatever you decide, a great day awaits you in Connecticut.
Here's a handful of things to try while you're in Connecticut
- Climb classic trad routes like A Guide to Ragged and Carey Corner, or take on something harder like YMC Route or Unconquerable Crack
- Develop face, slab and crack climbing techniques
- Focus on fundamentals like belaying a lead climber, anchors, knots, lowering and rappelling
- Learn to lead traditional multi-pitch routes
After your day of customized climbing you will
- Be ready to conquer your next challenge on the rocks, like trying that other climb you weren't so sure about
- Be able to place protection and build anchors
- Become familiar with best practices and climbing etiquette at the Gunks
- Feel more comfortable navigating route selection and route management
- Feel safer and more confident pushing your boundaries
Here’s what your day could look like
- 8:30am: Meet your guide at your predetermined location
- 9:00am: Carpool to the chosen approach
- 9:30am: Gear up and tackle your new skills
- 1:00pm: Lunch at the cliff (bring lunch, snacks and plenty of water)
- 1:30pm - 5:00pm: Climb 1-2 routes depending on speed and comfort level
- 5:00pm: Call it a day and plan your next trip!
New to rock climbing? Check out the Introduction to Rock Climbing at Ragged Mountain.
Need to know
- All permits and climbing related fees
- All technical climbing gear like ropes, harnesses...you name it.
What to bring?
- 2 liters of water, snacks and lunch
- Hiking shoes or sneakers
- Daypack large enough to carry water, food and extra layers
What to wear?
- Dress appropriately for the weather and bring your usual athletic clothes