1 - 4 people
Learn climbing self rescue techniques!
This climbing self rescue course is comprised of one full day of technical, hands-on rescue training for multi-pitch rock climbing. During our time together we will discuss common rescue concerns in the rock climbing community. We'll also be giving demonstrations of rescue techniques used by rock climbing guides. Most importantly, participants will be able to practice all of the rescue skills presented.
Rescue course outline
You also get to spend an amazing day at the Gunks, a world class rock climbing destination - all while learning and having fun under the guidance of an experienced and engaging instructor.
- Knots for improvised rescue
- Belay escape and load transfers
- Knot pass while lowering and
- Counter Balance rappels
- Tandem rappelling
- Mechanical advantage raises
- Rope ascending
- Rescue demo by course mentor
- Rescue problem solving
You'll leave this course with the confidence and knowledge of rescue procedures that will make you a valuable asset in a multi-pitch environment.
- 9am: Meet at Rock and Snow, in New Paltz
- Gear up and carpool out to the cliffs
- Spend the day at the cliffs learning about climbing rescue techniques
- Return to New Paltz by 5pm
Need to know
- All permits and climbing related fees in the Mohonk Preserve
- Pick up and return at bus station or train
- All technical climbing gear like ropes, harnesses...you name it.
What to bring?
- 2 liters of water, lunch, snacks
- Hiking shoes or sneakers
- Daypack large enough to carry water, food and extra layers of clothing
What to wear?
- Dress appropriately for the weather and bring your usual athletic clothes