1 - 6 people
Curious about rock climbing, or looking to try something new? This course is for people with little or no climbing experience! Not only will you learn about tying into a climbing rope, belaying, and rappelling, you’ll also practice being a climbing partner to your guide and fellow course participants.
Pilot Mountain, North Carolina is a great all around single pitch climbing crag, known for its iconic Big Pinnacle and Little Pinnacle. The variety of terrain makes Pilot Mountain an excellent classroom for climbers of all levels. If you have been climbing in the gym or are new to rock climbing, Pilot Mountain is the place to begin.
This class is perfect for discovering the beauty of climbing outside.
Absolutely no rock climbing experience is necessary.
What you will learn
Your day of climbing begins with detailed instruction about climbing gear and safety. Next, you'll work on basic body positioning and climbing techniques. After you go over the foundations of rock climbing, you'll have plenty of time to practice what you learn on the crags. You'll learn:
- The basics of safety in climbing and how to use ropes, knots and harnesses
- The development of efficient climbing techniques and body positions
- The fundamentals of anchors, belaying and rappelling
After your first climb, you'll get an idea of all the great challenges a climber can face on any given day spent on the rocks. Climbing in a safe environment is an unforgettable experience, for both body and mind. You'll love it!
- 8:30am: Meet your guide at the guide's recommended location
- 9:30am: Gear up and carpool to the cliffs
- 10:00am: Spend the day learning and rock climbing
- 12:30pm - 1:00pm: Lunch (bring snacks and plenty of water)
- 1:00pm - Continue to learn and climb!
- 5:00pm: Call it a day and head home!
Need to know
- All technical climbing gear (bring your own if you like)
- NC Locations +$17.50 per day park fee
- NC State Parks charge $35.00 per day for commercial climbing access, your guide splits this expense with you