1 - 6 people
Check out the beauty of climbing outside. There's nothing like it!
Rock climbing in the New River Gorge is composed of three river gorges – New, Gauley, and Meadow. There are thousands of routes to discover, all of which attract rock climbers from all over the world. Let us help you fall in love with climbing for the first time! We'll guide you every step of the way.
Curious about rock climbing, or looking to try something new? This course is for people with little or no climbing experience! Not only will you learn about tying into a climbing rope, belaying, and rappelling, you’ll also practice being a climbing partner to your guide and fellow course participants.
If you are already an experienced climber, check out Custom Climbing at New River Gorge.
Absolutely no rock climbing experience is necessary.
What you'll learn
After going over the fundamentals of rock climbing, you'll have plenty of time to practice what you learn on the crags. Here's some of the techniques you'll become familiar with:
- The basics of safety in climbing
- How to use ropes, knots and harnesses
- The development of efficient climbing techniques and body positions
- The fundamentals of anchors, belaying and rappelling
Climbing in a safe environment is an unforgettable experience for body and mind. There's life before climbing and life after. You're gonna love it.
- 8:30am: Meet your guide and the guide's recommended location
- 9:30am: Gear up and carpool to the cliffs
- 10:00am: Spend the day learning and rock climbing
- 12:30pm - 1:00pm: Lunch (bring snacks and plenty of water)
- 1:00pm - Continue to learn and climb!
- 5:00pm: Call it a day and head home!
Need to know
- All permits and climbing related fees
- All technical climbing gear like ropes, harnesses...you name it.
What to bring?
- 2 liters of water, snacks and lunch
- Hiking shoes or sneakers
- Daypack large enough to carry water, food and extra layers
What to wear?
- Dress appropriately for the weather and bring your usual athletic clothes