1 - 6 people
Seneca Rocks has something for everyone!
Welcome to Seneca Rocks, a renowned rock climbing destination that offers something for everyone!
Curious about rock climbing, or looking to try something new? This is for people with little or no climbing experience! Not only will you learn about tying into a climbing rope, belaying, and rappelling, you’ll also practice being a climbing partner to your guide and fellow course participants.
Most importantly, you can and will climb up a rock!
This class is perfect for discovering the beauty of climbing outside.
If you are already an experienced climber, check out our Custom Climbing at Seneca Rocks.
Absolutely no rock climbing experience is necessary.
What you'll learn
Your day of climbing begins with detailed instruction about climbing gear and safety. Next, we'll work on basic body positioning and climbing techniques. After we go over the foundations of rock climbing, you'll have plenty of time to practice what you learn on the crags. You'll learn:
- The basics of safety in climbing
- How to use ropes, knots and harnesses
- The development of efficient climbing techniques and body positions
- The fundamentals of anchors, belaying and rappelling
After this class you'll
- Be confident when you tackle your next climb
- Understand all the challenges any climber can face after a day spent on the rocks
- Love the view on your way to the top!
Here's a typical schedule
- 8:30am: Meet your guide at the guide's recommended location
- 9:30am: Gear up and carpool to the cliffs
- 10:00am: Spend the day learning and rock climbing
- 12:30pm - 1:00pm: Lunch (bring snacks and plenty of water)
- 1:00pm - Continue to learn and climb!
- 5:00pm: Call it a day and head home!
Need to know
- All permits and climbing related fees
- All technical climbing gear like ropes, harnesses...you name it.
What to bring?
- 2 liters of water, snacks and lunch
- Hiking shoes or sneakers
- Daypack large enough to carry water, food and extra layers
What to wear?
- Dress appropriately for the weather and bring your usual athletic clothes